The brewers code is an understanding amongst homebrewers which governs honesty, fraternity and the advancement of the craft. I have looked high and low, but failed to find any definitions which articulate the spirit of the code. This is my attempt at the brewers code in ten commandments form.
- All brewers are created equal regardless of technique or brewing method
- Thy shall be truthful in ones representations
- Thy shall not claim to have brewed a beer crafted by a fellow brewer
- Thy shall relax, not worry and have a homebrew
- Thy shall worship the bibles (John Palmers “How to Brew‘ And Jamil’s “Brewing Classic Styles“)
- Thy shall help others make beer as good as my own
- Thy shall clean and sanitise in two steps
- Thy shall not pass off infected beer as a ‘lambic’ or sour
- Thy shall support local commercial brewers
- Thy shall support the local homebrew shop
These are just my initial thoughts. If you can think of any worthy additions, please add them to the comments section below.